Dill Pickle Soup
Adapted from blog post: Dill Pickle Soup
If you like, cook and crumble an Italian or chorizo sausage in the pot before adding everything else.
- 1 L chicken or vegetable stock
- 4-5 large dill pickles, shredded or chopped
- ~1/2 cup pickle juice, from the pickle jar – use all the pickle juice from the jar
- 1-2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream and chopped fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan or small soup pot, cook onions till soft.
- Combine the stock, pickles, pickle brine, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the potatoes start to get soft.
- Stir together the butter and flour until you have a thick paste; stir into the soup with the milk or cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for a minute or two, season with pepper and serve hot, garnished with sour cream and fresh dill.